SB 67 becomes PA 16-39, extends APRN signature authority
Gov. Dannel Mallow signed senate bill 67 into law as public act 16-39 yesterday, extending the signature authority of nurse practitioners to over 75 statutes that were previously reserved to physicians. For example, it will allow us to:
- issue "do not rescuscitate" orders,
- certify patients for medical marijuana use (with exceptions),
- certify individuals to cancel a health club or diet plan contract,
- order administration of glucagon or antiepileptic medication by qualified school employees,
- certify medical necessity of home health aide services
- provide a statement of blindness or disability to limit eviction
We applaud the passage of this bill into law as it allows us to effectively and safely care for all of our patients. The law will be effective 10/1/2016, except for the medical marijuana certification, which become effective 1/1/2017.
Feel free to comment on this bill and contact us if your employer limits your ability to exercise your rights to practice.
Health Policy Committee